Workshops and Presentations
I offer workshops on a variety of topics in which I have some expertise. Eg
- Rewarding and recognising excellent teachers
- Criteria and standards for quality teachers and teaching
- Institutional quality indicators for teaching and learning
- Effectiveness and impact of university teacher development programs
- Peer review of teaching
- Evaluating teaching
- Scholarship of learning and teaching
Each workshop will be tailored to your participants’ needs and context.
Illustrative workshops and professional development programs
- James Cook University, University of Queensland, Charles Sturt University, Victoria University, Deakin University, (2016) Recognising and rewarding teaching, evaluating teaching.
- University of Windsor, McMaster University, Queens University, Ontario, Canada (2015). Workshops and presentations on: recognising and rewarding teaching; measuring the effectiveness and impact of professional development programs; teaching and learning criteria; and evaluating teaching.
- University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. Two week consultancy to conduct workshops and work with the Teaching and Learning Centre staff on developing indicators of effectiveness, Recognising and rewarding teaching. Also presented at a combined universities workshop in Cape Town (May, 2015)
- University of New England (2015). Peer review of teaching
- University of Chile, Santiago, Chile. One week consultancy on developing indicators of effectiveness for access programs, presentations and meeting with senior staff (April, 2014).
- Universidad Catholica, Temuco, Chile. Two week consultancy to conduct workshops and work with the Teaching and Learning Centre staff on developing indicators of effectiveness. (June, December 2013). Further workshops and presentations in June 2014 and July 2016.
- Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Valparaíso, Chile. One week consultancy to conduct workshops and meet with senior staff on the systems and use of teaching and learning quality indicators, presentations on academic development to Chile directors of university T & L centres (Sept, 2012; June 2013 and July 2016
- Lund University. Meet with academic development colleagues on benchmarking performance and effective measures of professional development, (Sept, 2012)
- Umeå University and Stockholm University, Sweden. Academic Development Seminar. Benchmarking performance of academic development units. 20-21 June, 2011
- University Brunei Darussalam, Teaching Large Classes, 2 day intensive program, March 2011. With Dr Lee Partridge.
- Presentations at two Professional development days Taylors College (StudyGroup), Teaching international students, Nov 2010, Aligning assessment, Feb, 2011
- Telethon Institute for Child Research: Project: Improving Mental Health Service Outcomes for Aboriginal People Living in the Armadale State Health Region Effective notetaking in non-academic settings. Feb 2011
- University of Notre Dame, Australia. Series of three professional development programs. Evidencing Teaching, Peer review of teaching and Developing a Teaching Portfolio, With Dr Lee Partridge, 2010
- Faculty of Business and Law, School of Marketing, Tourism and Leisure. Edith Cowan University. Performance measures and indicators of effective teaching and learning. Dec 2010.
- Presentation at Trinity Theological College, Professional development workshop. Assessment, 2009.
- La Trobe University invitational series. Seminar: Challenges in recognising and rewarding the scholarship of teaching, Design for Learning Forum: Recognising and rewarding quality teaching in universities: A framework and tools and Design for Learning Workshop: Developing a Communications Skills Framework: Planning writing, speaking, critical and information literacy, and interpersonal skills development across the curriculum, (September 2009).
- FCHS Faculty Forum, Edith Cowan University. How can we recognise and reward quality teaching and learning. February, 2009.
- University of Gloucestershire. How can we recognize and reward quality teaching and learning? September, 2008
- Invited international participant. One week invitational forum. Strategic Educational Development – international knowledge-building, Roxå & Mårtensson, Lund University, Sweden, 2008
- ATN Early Career Academic Symposium, Curtin University, Carrick awards, projects and career opportunities for ECAs: What makes applications successful or unsuccessful: key learnings. June 2008
- Invited speaker at professional and discipline conferences on the Carrick Institute, programs and the Teaching Indicators Project. 2006-8. Eg Australian Council of University Art and Design Schools; Australian Council of Deans of Education; HERDSA, Vic, Council of Australian Directors of Academic Development, Society for the Provision of Education in Rural Australia, Annual meeting of Presidents of Academic Boards, SPERA conference, International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL), UniServe Science,
- Invited to present workshops / seminars on Carrick Institute programs and work of the Institute in universities 2006-8 eg University of Queensland, Queensland University of Technology, James Cook University, University of Southern Queensland, University of Sydney, Macquarie University, Swinbourne University, RMIT, Monash University, University of Western Australian, Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Charles Darwin University, Charles Sturt University, University of Tasmania
Indicative Invited and Keynote Presentations
- “Rewarding and recognising excellent teaching”. A number of presentations at institutions, conferences and forums (2015-16). Eg in New Zealand for Ako Aotearoa, University of Auckland, Auckland University of technology. In Chile for the University Technical Santa Maria, Valpariaso, University Catholica, Temuco. Australian universities eg James Cook University, Charles Sturt University, Victoria University, Deakin University, Avondale College., HERDSA 2016 Conference.
- Visiting Fellowship in academic development. Several presentations. University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. (10 weeks. 2015 including presentations at McMaster University and Queens University, Ontario.
- “Developing university teaching criteria and standards: an Australian strategic priority project” (Higher Education Academy Conference, Birmingham, July, 2014)
- “Identifying the effectiveness and impact of university teacher development programs: An Australian perspective”, (SCAP conference, Warwick, UK, July, 2014)
- “Criteria and standards for quality assurance in higher education” (University of Chile, Santiago, April, 2014)
- “How to measure the impact of Teaching and Learning Centers” (Malaysian Quality Forum, Kuala Lumpur, September, 2014)
- “Education Teaching Quality”, VTAS promoting Excellence Network Workshop. (Melbourne November, 2014)
- “Learning in the future”. Learning and Teaching in the 21st Century (Murdoch University, September, 2014)
- “University of Western Australia’s perspective on MOOCs”. Tertiary Education Teaching and Learning Innovation Conference. Sydney, (September. 2013).
- “Support from the Centre and its impact on retention and graduation rates in undergraduate university programs” (University Catholica, Temuco, Chile, June 2013).
- “Academic Development: An Australian perspective, and Benchmarking academic development performance”. (HEGE meeting, Cambridge, UK. 2011).
- “Academic Development Seminar. Benchmarking performance of academic development units” (Umeå University and Stockholm University, Sweden. June, 2011).
- “Who determines the curriculum? Designing and delivering curricula for the future” (All Ireland Society for Higher Education (AISHE), Dublin, 2010).